Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I want to hold your hand - in German

This morning, my alarm clock - which plays my iPod music as the alarm - is playing the Beatles singing in German.  Even the little I know having taken German myself in high school, and traveled there once tells me John is singing in a distinctly British accent.  But to the point.  We tailor our message to our audience, to sell the item or the point.  And that's not all, we tailor our personal messages to friends and family to meet their needs and our agendas for them.  Take a moment to think about what you say to others. Is there some underlying agenda?  Is it aimed at being a better friend/spouse?  Is it aimed at getting something you want without regard to others?  Thich Nhat Hahn said somewhere that the best gift is the one the receiver wants to get. Be mindful with those words.  Words can create affinity or division.  I'm sure the teens in Germany were very happy to hear those Beatles singing in their own language.

No comments: