Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Weather

At one time, when I was spending a lot of time outdoors in the mountains in Maine and New Hampshire, I could predict really accurately how long it would take a storm to reach me.  One of my disappointments as I've gotten older has been that my circumstances have taken me from those places and activities to a situation where weather prediction isn't necessary.  I miss the energy of a good thunder/lightning storm, the sight of a rainstorm approaching across the lake, the roll of the clouds over the mountains bringing snow; signals that shelter should be sought, the hike abandoned - or at least retreat below tree line.  I have watched a thunderstorm from above the cloud line, I have seen snow fall up, I have felt rain blown onto the side of my leg.  I miss that.  Maybe I should spend more time outdoors.  :)

1 comment:

Adventure4Me said...

one of the things I really enjoy about living in Vegas is watching the thunderstorm rolling across the valley ... you can watch them come from miles away