Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Aging and Work

We are all getting older all the time.  At least, the number of years, or the amount of time we have experienced in this life keeps getting larger.  Does that mean we are aging?  What is 'aging' anyway?  It could be a totally false idea.  What would it be like to never grow old, or mature socially, or turn lessons into personal changes?  I still feel young, whatever that is.  I certainly don't feel old.  And as I pass more birthdays, my idea of 'old' has changed dramatically.  It helps that my mother is still alive and quite well in her 90s.  I remember a time when I thought 45 was old, then 60, then 80.  Now I'm not sure I think we're old until you get past that.  Retirement for my parent's age peers happened pretty regularly at 60.  That's in two years for me.  I can't imagine.  Of course, by that time, some of them had worked in the auto industry for nearly 40 years.  My dad worked into his 70s. Sometimes I think he did that just to have something to do every day.  My grandfather died when he was 74; Dad was 82.  So, I guess the upshot for me is that maybe I'm aging along with everyone else, and as long as I feel like working, I'll work.  Just to have something to do.  My retirement years will just have to wait.  I'm pretty sure there's going to be a lot of them.

No comments: