Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Illusion of Certainty

What do we REALLY know?  For sure... Nothing.  Things are what they are until they are not.  I work in an industry where, on a daily basis, we try to turn the vagaries of the human condition into 0s and 1s.  We have to describe difficult decision-making processes in terms of 'is you is or is you ain't my baby'.... and what does that mean anyway?  Sometimes I ask myself, how in the h-e-double hockey sticks did I end up here? Doing this?  We have to engineer ways for people to make decisions, and then change their minds, and change their minds again.  We deal with people, not mathematics.  It is chaos inside the human being, continually changing and re-forming into something new, wanting something else.  I fear we must take the comfort of stasis from inanimate objects, and not ask that of our fellow humans or anything we have in our control.  Certainty?  Well, maybe that old saying about death and taxes is spot on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aw,the River of Life and how it takes the event and the emotions away immediately. Georgia O'Keefe once said, " Rivers and roads lead people on." As I look at my life it is flowing and continous, it is full of crossroads, trbutaries, and sudden bends. I find that I want to follow the road or the river to find out what lies around the next bend, over the next rise. The mere fact that they exist seems to tell me that I should follow them. Then, at times, I become one with the path, immersed in my life unquestionably. This is the condition that I prefer, when the river that leads me through life simply flows.