Friday, December 9, 2011

Reflect with Appreciation

Set aside time now and then to look back on your life.  Recall the past from your 'now' perspective, and take the opportunity to feel the way you did then or feel the way you do now.  A common quotation is: "if we don't learn from our history, we are doomed to repeat it."  I have only heard this phrase from people who were talking about our overall human history, but why not apply those words to personal history as well?  Each time we recall/reflect on the past, we can see/feel it differently.  We can also repeat the past, but now it really is a choice.  Now we can see it from a place of safety, a place of peace... we chose to look, so lets look with gratitude for the lesson and appreciation for the gift.

1 comment:

kathi said...

absolutely right Joan ... my focus is not only on being grateful but to remember we have grown so much since those events in the past that if we were to experience them again we would have whole different results. I keep that in the forefront when I am hesitant about doing something because I've "TRIED That Before" and it didn't work ... fear doesn't have a place in my life.