Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Dogs Know

It is obscenely early.  The dogs are up with me.  I'm wide awake and thinking.  The news is bad.  My friend has lost her home and her two wonderful cats to a wildfire.  Some things remain that were outside and in the barn.  Inside the house is nothing but burned out metal objects, broken dishes, and ash.  Even though I once lived there, I don't now, and I can't imagine how it feels.  She was able to joke yesterday about the outpouring of love and things variously called 'juju', 'mojo', prayer, good vibes, etc. that describe what she has been receiving, and her willingness to be open to all the spiritual approaches to healing.  She must find her way again, where so many things remain and a huge piece of her life is suddenly missing.  I can only watch and love.  Maybe that's what the dogs know.  Maybe that's why they are up with me now, watching and loving.

No comments: